Build system for KDE4

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jun 14 19:27:05 BST 2005

Hi,

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 09:28, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Montag 13 Juni 2005 20:07 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > Ok, here my take on cmake. I'm no expert in linking issues, so I can't
> > comment on everything.
>
> Call me stubborn, but I won't touch cmake syntax.

Probably because the commands are all upper case and it has a feature called
"macro" and macros are evil in C++ ?
Honestly, if you'd have any valid argument it would be ok, but just stating
that you don't like the look is no real argument.
But I guess since you are the buildsystem maintainer I can probably stop here
and we'll go with a python solution since you like python.

> And beside that your list has pretty many "don't know" and "possibly",
> so it's not a complete solution.

I'm sorry, but I am happy if I find 3 or 4 evenings per week where I can spend
maybe 2 hours each on working on KDE. So I don't have the chance to know and
test every aspect of cmake and KDE building. What I have done until now gives
me the feeling that everything we need can be done with cmake.
Now seriously, there can be no "complete solution" which supports building KDE
3 (4) out of the box (except unsermake which was written for exactly this
purpose). You can't expect that a buildsystem without special adaptation for
KDE knows how to handle e.g. a foo.kcfgc.

> And if I can pick incomplete solutions, I will avoid the ones
> with the uglier syntax.

Ugliness is a matter of taste. The negative point of cmake that it isn't a
complete language as python can also be seen as an advantage: it is a
language written especially for this purpose and since it is restricted it is
"small", e.g. you can quickly read all the documentation.

Bye
Alex