Build system for KDE4

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 01:43:45 BST 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 04:17, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> Guillaume Laurent said:
> > This has been discussed a while ago, my recommendation hasn't changed :
> > scons+bksys is the best replacement candidate IMHO.
>
> That discussion focussed mainly on Scons vs cmake though, not on QMake.
>
> For those who have little experience with Scons and QMake, could you
> explain the major differences between those two and the advantages of
> either platform (if any)?

I've actually used both for the same program.

In the end, it was just barely possible to use qmake.  When you are working
within what qmake does well, it does it very very well.  But if you ever need
to do something unusual, qmake becomes your biggest obstacle.

SCons/bksys is an excellent *build* framework at this point.  It's
configure-checking ability is sorely lacking at this point, but that could be
easy to fix.  Either way it is *much* better to use and extend than qmake is.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne