[Kde-cvs-announce] KDE 3.5 branched / KDE 4 development in trunk/KDE

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Jul 27 08:33:59 BST 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 02:15, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> >Would a 3.5 schedule based on a feature freeze at the beginning of
> >august also fit for other modules?
>
> Do you mean next week? You'll likely get a lot of resistance in doing
> that.

Yes, next week. That's what we have worked towards in KDE PIM for the last
couple of weeks.

> Maybe we can do a feature *list* freeze on Aug 1st, and then do a full
> feature and message freeze at the end of the month.

When people start diving into KDE 4 development, I don't expect that the 3.5
branch will get much attention anymore. At aKademy we will probably see lots
of KDE 4 work and porting, so a feature freeze end of August might mean that
the 3.5 branch gets not enough attention during the beta phase. That's the
reason why in KDE PIM plan to have a bug fixing phase before aKademy.

Is this situation really that different for other modules?

> >Which modules will see a 3.5 release at all? Does anybody have a
> >concrete idea about that?
>
> All of them. All have seen changes since KDE 3.4. The only doubt was
> kdelibs, but it too has seen too much changed to be left out (including
> some necessary changes on entities on documentation). I don't even think
> kdebase 3.5 works with kdelibs 3.4.

So what's the thoughts of the people working on the other modules, kdelibs,
kdebase, whatever? Is there anything important which won't be done next week,
but will be done four or eight weeks later?