X-KDE-IsAlso=text/plain

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Jul 26 20:21:34 BST 2005

On Tuesday 26 July 2005 22:11, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> Sorry I do not like it.
>
> The mime type text/plain is about human-readable text, which things
> like application/xhtml+xml or text/html or even source mime types are
> certainly not.
>
> RFC 2046:
>
> <quote>The subtype "plain" in
>           particular indicates plain text containing no
>           formatting commands or directives of any sort. Plain
>           text is intended to be displayed "as-is".</quote>

Than how can we know if a files can be opened in a text editor or not?
Either using the old way ([Property::X-KDE-text]) or adding text/plain
to X-KDE-IsAlso. For me it's the same, but we should decide, so I can
code applications (Quanta & KDevelop) in the right way. Right now some
mimetypes have [Property::X-KDE-text], others have X-KDE-IsAlso as
well. Quanta uses the first, KDevelop uses the second approach to see
if the file is text, thus can be opened in a text editor. Other
applications that can edit text files (any kind of text files) might
use other approaches.
 This is just insane, so better decide one, common way.

Andras