Display of system users: Selecting the face

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Jul 10 08:54:53 BST 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 01:00:33AM +0200, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 09 July 2005 14:58, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > he can store the really private data in a private/ subdir of his
> > $HOME. $HOME must be publicly executable for public_html/, .plan &
> > .project to be accessible anyway.
>
> Maybe on your system.
> [...]
> public_html? .plan? .project?

on any liberaly set up, fully working unix system.

> On our system the $HOMEs of most users are only exported via NFS to
> those machines those people usually use. And, of course, $HOME isn't
> publicly executable.

too bad for you.
and how exaclty is such a paranoid setup relevant to the case where
users are even allowed to set up their own images?
after all the recent holes in libpng, zlib, etc., no admin would allow
this anyway ...

> Which company will allow home directories which are accessible
> (executable) by everybody?

i don't see why a policy shouldn't be able to mandate a private/ dir
instead of making ~/ inaccessible. ~/ needn't to contain anything
sensitive, except of hints about which programs one is using (by the
presence of the respective dotfiles).