Display of system users: Selecting the face

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Thu Jul 7 17:50:28 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2005 11:58, schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 03:22:53AM +0200, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > In fact we rip out the controlling of faces from the display manager
>
> yes, but consider the distinction between the *Admin* and *User*
> variants.
>
> > and plant it to the user management
>
> this already exists to some extent.
>
> > (there are other things that should follow BTW).
>
> please elaborate.

Open the control center for the display manager (called login manager!) and
take a look at these tabs: Shutdown, Users, Convenience. Why are all these
settings not controlled in the

Shutdown: does this control shutdown in the console?
Users: Login to console is controlled in the user manager. Why not the login
to X, too? And are the users, that might login to console but not X?
Convenience: Where is the difference to console settings?

Sorry, do not have the time to really elaborate. But IMHO a lot of things
should be merged with the user manager(s).

I think I understand why they are where they are now. But this is only because
the X Window System was added to a system which standards were done for text
terminals. If we want to enhance *nixoid systems with a smooth gui we have to
start to integrate tighter with the base systems. Adding things where they
belong to.

Regards
Friedrich