Slow SVN checkouts

Thomas Vollmer thomas-ml at vollmeronline.de
Tue Jul 5 16:47:34 BST 2005

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 17:26, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 July 2005 12:50, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just started (!) using SVN and it seems to be slower than CVS
> > by an order of magnitude on my 28k connection.  Where is compression
> > configured for a https SVN account?  Anything else I need to
> > configure?

[...]

> May be you can try to *disable* PPP compression:
>
> nobsdcomp
> nodeflate
>
> (as the https data cannot be compressed anymore.)

Yes, and because of the encryption the hardware compression of the modem
in the downstream cant work either. And PPP compression over a line wich
is allready compressed is not very efficient.

So You need compression before encryption (ssh or ssl).

Thomas
--
IRC: TomseDive	Jabber: tomse at jabber.org	ICQ: 4843585