Fwd: [dot] [notify] GCC 3.4.4 vs. 4.0.1 Compile time comparison with KDE from SVN.

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Jul 5 13:02:20 BST 2005

Subject: GCC 3.4.4 vs. 4.0.1 Compile time comparison with KDE from SVN.
From: Ali Akcaagac <>
Date: Monday 04/Jul/2005, @00:12

I spent some time compiling KDE SVN from 02.07.2005 - 03.07.2005 fresh
 checkout to measure the time needed. The test machine was an XP2600, 512mb
 ram, 40gb IBM hd. During the entire process the machine was left on its own,
 so no noticable background activities that would influence the build. Only
 full mins have been counted and the secs got rounded. I believe it doesn't
 matter at the end whether we could save 5 mins for all modules listed below
 if we took the secs into account. 5 mins difference is not really world
 changing. My intention was to measure if gcc 4.0.x is so much faster that we
 could save at least 1 hr and more at the end. Both full compiles have been
 using the same config flags. And as it turned out the new gcc 4.0.x compiler
 indeed is able to save up to 3 hrs of compile time, which is pretty good.

modules gcc 4.0.1 gcc 3.4.4 delta t

qt-copy 15 mins 28 mins 13 mins

arts 05 mins 05 mins 00 mins

kdelibs 33 mins 47 mins 14 mins

kdebase 43 mins 59 mins 16 mins

kdeutils 10 mins 16 mins 06 mins

kdenetwork 30 mins 42 mins 12 mins

kdegraphics 26 mins 34 mins 08 mins

kdemultimedia 28 mins 37 mins 09 mins

kdegames 12 mins 19 mins 07 mins

kdepim 51 mins 71 mins 20 mins

koffice 67 mins 97 mins 30 mins

kdesdk 16 mins 29 mins 13 mins

kdevelop 33 mins 52 mins 19 mins

kdewebdev 12 mins 22 mins 10 mins

kdeedu 19 mins 36 mins 17 mins

kdetoys 03 mins 04 mins 01 mins

kdeartwork 04 mins 06 mins 02 mins

gwenview 02 mins 03 mins 01 mins

amarok 04 mins 06 mins 02 mins

k3b 07 mins 12 mins 05 mins

kmplayer 01 mins 02 mins 01 mins

knemo 01 mins 01 mins 00 mins

konversation 03 mins 05 mins 02 mins

425 mins 633 mins 208 mins

741 mb 741 mb

-- martin

--
   Groupware Challenge 13. Juli 2005
   Drei Konzepte - Drei Systeme - Eine Veranstaltung

-- martin