[patch] usability of media:/ labels

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Mon Jan 31 23:39:31 GMT 2005

Kévin Ottens wrote:
>Le Dimanche 30 Janvier 2005 00:01, Thiago Macieira a écrit :
>> For me, what's worse is that I have the same device mounted twice in
>> different mountpoints -- and kio_media doesn't let me tell one from
>> the other. Not that it matters much, though.
>
>Sorry that media:/ is not helpful here. ;-)
>But during its design phase I've been advised (by David Faure IIRC) to
> not handle this case since it's a really unusual setup. I was pretty
> sure someone somewhere was doing it! :-D

It's borderline and unusual. Don't mind me. I shouldn't be doing a double
mount, but instead a bind-mount.

I think this is also a very unusual feature. Not all Unix systems can
mount an FS more than once. Linux has been able to since 2.4.0 only.

>Just curious, could you explain me your use of such a setup?

Because I have /mnt/media and I decided I wanted to share that in my FTP
server. So I mounted again on /var/ftp/default/pub/media. I didn't know
about bind-mounts back then, and I've never changed since -- it's been 3
years.

Any sane admin trying to do the same thing I did, now, would prefer a
bind-mount instead.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.