sqlite in kdelibs

Shawn Gordon shawn at thekompany.com
Sun Jan 23 00:28:56 GMT 2005

At 03:09 PM 1/22/2005, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

>>I second this.  Why don't we wait until Qt4 is released for chrissakes
>>before lamenting the
>>inadequacy of SQL support.
>
>You probably missed the point that we already have working framework that
>exceeds what is Qt4/SQL for, so there's no lament but regular development,
>_at least_ parallel to Qt3->Qt4 timeframe.
>
>Qt/SQL is a tool for (end-user) db applications development, while tools I
>mentioned, KexiDB, is a tool for (end-user) db applications development AS
>WELL AS for creating of db development environment (which is in our case
>called Kexi).
>
>The comparison is like e.g. between ready to use C preprocessor and
>parser/lexer-development tool like Bison/Flex, which can be used to make
>it easier to develop C preprocessor.

The Rekall database engine is abstracted, and older/more mature/more
powerful than either what is in Qt or Kexi.  The principal of Qt/SQL was
derived from what we did with Rekall, we tried to move the Rekall engine to
it, but at the time (and this might still be the case) it couldn't handle
what we wanted to do.

>--
>regards / pozdrawiam,
>  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team
>  Developers Wanted! Kexi 0.1 Beta 5 Released: http://www.kexi-project.org
>  KDElibs/Windows: http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDElibs+for+win32

Regards,

Shawn Gordon