How to display file names (again)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jan 20 10:23:50 GMT 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 10:46, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >Yes: the url (with %252F), the path (with %2F), and the user-visible
> > filename (with '/'). The change is simply that we don't show the URL
> > anymore, for local files.
>
> We show '/' again?
We always did.

> I thought we had that removed because it was more
> trouble than was worth...
I disagreed.

> Have all apps been updated so that they show / in their titles? I have a
> two-week old build here which is still showing wrong names.
I don't see why showing %2f is a big problem. The file is called with %2f on disk after all.
This is just a way to have a link to a website on your desktop, and name that link e.g. "http://www.kde.org"
On disk it's http:%2f%2fwww.kde.org.desktop - remember that the desktop also hides ".desktop", so
it might as well convert %2f, no? If you're a purist about showing the real filename then
you should have objected when kdesktop started hiding .desktop :)

So if you see %2f and ".desktop" when editing that file with kedit, that's fine imho.
Full paths *are* supposed to show %2f. Only filenames (like in konq's views or kdesktop) can convert it to '/'.
Maybe for KDE4 we can make this conversion happen in KURL::fileName()/setFileName() :)