khtml printing grieves

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jan 19 11:58:02 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 11:30, David Faure wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 January 2005 12:12, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > The complaint was about the attempt to "fix a problem were no
> > problem is" (margins).
>
> I can tell you that when my wife screams at the printouts from kmail and threatens
> to go back to windows, there *is* a problem.

OK, OK, no doubt about that.

But the margin problem can be finally solved by current
KDEPrint controls. It takes one action, one time (and save
it) and she will have the print margin setting without any
further action needed for all future printouts.

I assume you dont have an environment of multiple printers,
or the need to print many different things very often per
day. (Even if you had, you could still quite well work with
the means KDE supplies for printing.)

Contrast this to *unreadably small* printouts *on each
printer* you try, with every driver you have, and *no* means
to influence the erratic result -- with the only alternative
to go to Windows and print from there (for real, not just
threatening to do this). And put that in the context of a
"from Windows to Linux/KDE migration" in an enterprise where
printing is a mission critical requirement, please. I can
assure you that these customers were happy after being shown
the way to control margins on printouts once and for all.

It is *them* who say "No problem" here, but who see a major
bug in khtml printing with the tiny font sizes it produces.
And I tend to agree with them.

Cheers,
Kurt