Fix for printouts without margins

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Jan 18 21:00:13 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 20:36, David Faure wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 21:00, David Faure wrote:
> > I think kdeprint should ignore that and let qt use default margins in such a case.
> > Applications which use setFullPage(true), like kword, can still print in the corners
> > as one would expect; the change seems to only affect code that use setFullPage(false),
> > like KHTML.
>
> In fact 0 is no special case here. If the PPD for my laser printer was correct
> it would say that the *minimum* physical margins accepted by the printer are
> 3mm. But using 3mm as default margins looks crappy.

That's why you still can control the margins by the "Margins" tab in
kprinter.

> As Kurt Pfeifle made me realize, the margins from the PPD are only meant to be
> used to warn when setting too small margins (in applications like koffice),
> i.e. "this is outside the printable area" (like MSWindows does; we don't have this
> kind of check in KOffice yet). They are really the strict-minimum margins, which
> doesn't mean they make reasonable defaults. Can we keep Qt's defaults
> (half-inch/third-inch if I read correctly) when using setFullPage(false)?

"full page" in PPD and pre-press specifications always mean "use all
of the available ImageableArea".

The user normally defines his/her margins in a KWord/other document,
right? In 99% of cases they'll use 1 or more cm. In 98% of these
cases that's fine with the printer. In case it is not, the user will
most likely re-define his document's margins, or look for another
(less limited) printer.

Why suddenly re-define "full page" to default to fix half-inch where
it normally means the imageable area of the output device?

> More aggressive (but more consistent) patch attached.

Whatever that means....

Cheers,
Kurt