Fix for printouts without margins

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jan 18 20:36:47 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 21:00, David Faure wrote:
> I think kdeprint should ignore that and let qt use default margins in such a case.
> Applications which use setFullPage(true), like kword, can still print in the corners
> as one would expect; the change seems to only affect code that use setFullPage(false),
> like KHTML.

In fact 0 is no special case here. If the PPD for my laser printer was correct
it would say that the *minimum* physical margins accepted by the printer are
3mm. But using 3mm as default margins looks crappy.

As Kurt Pfeifle made me realize, the margins from the PPD are only meant to be
used to warn when setting too small margins (in applications like koffice),
i.e. "this is outside the printable area" (like MSWindows does; we don't have this
kind of check in KOffice yet). They are really the strict-minimum margins, which
doesn't mean they make reasonable defaults. Can we keep Qt's defaults
(half-inch/third-inch if I read correctly) when using setFullPage(false)?
More aggressive (but more consistent) patch attached.