sane defaults (security icons)

Max Howell max.howell at methylblue.com
Sun Jan 16 23:19:04 GMT 2005

Jakub Stachowski wrote:
> In what part of the world yellow means secure? When i think about safety
> color codes, street lights immediately come to mind. And yellow definitely
> is not 'safe' color there. Exactly as in other KDE apps that deal with
> certificates. Where could those users learned about yellow being secure
> anyway?
>
> Honestly, when i first seen this yellow urlbar after connecting to my
> server i thought that certificate expired or something like that.

Pale yellow is a warm and fluffy colour. You'll find a lot of dining rooms and
lounge rooms decorated in yellow because it is comforting and feels "safe".
It is no coincidence that pale yellow has come to mean safe in browsers, ask
any artist or interior designer.

Green on the other hand is over used so I'd stick with yellow seeing as all
other browsers also use yellow in this context (well I haven't used safari
but I expect Apple also picked up on the Yellow vibe)

And just to throw my opinion in the mix, I also want to see the back of the
toolbar button. The redundancy won't help Konqi's reputation, and also I
suspect the fact that George has had to expain it n+1 times suggests that
many people find it bemusing.

Max
--
Max Howell; MK, UK; http://www.methylblue.com/