turning off konq extensions by default

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Thu Jan 13 18:43:12 GMT 2005

El Jueves 13 Enero 2005 19:34, Aaron J. Seigo escribió:
> On Thursday 13 January 2005 11:14, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> > - Any plugins in the kdeaddons/konq-plugins should be activated by
> > default
>
> unless each plugin is installed individually this is less the optimal.
> let's say i want the webarchiver. i install kdeaddons3-konqueror from my
> distributor for that and and get 19 other plugins installed and activated
> as well? that's insane.
>
> if the plugins are distributed individually, they can active themselves
> on installation. but if they are installed as a glop of 20 addons, it's
> really innefective.

Only if you assume a single-user setup. In the general case, it make sense
for the superuser (or the distributor) to install the plugins just in case
(disk space is typically not an issue). This does not mean the user wants
to use all of them. Unless we follow Mozilla in providing plugins for
download (which has its drawbacks), I think a selection should be made.

If we want to make the availability of plugins more prominent, we could use
a 'link' in the about: page to open the plugin configuration panel.
Or list enabled plugins somewhere in it.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo
                                                          - Enoch Root