turning off konq extensions by default

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 13 18:23:21 GMT 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 09:59, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> In fact. I can not for the life of me, think of a single application that
> does not activate it's plugins initially after they are installed.
>
> The issue with Konqueror is not that plugins earmarked for it are initially
> activated, it is that every application under the sun add sa Konq plugin,
> and it is usually not obvious to the user they are doing this.

and this is the sum of Scott's original observation: if the user doesn't
actively install them, then they shouldn't be activated by default. in all
the examples you gave, the user purposefuly installed the extension
purportedly with the goal of using it and that _action_ on the part of the
user is taken also as a confirmation for activation.

in the case of kdeaddons, that's usually just installed along with the rest of
KDE. there is no action per-plugin/extension that can be construed as
permission to activate any given plugin/extension.

so instead of having to install each plugin/extension separately, one needs to
active each plugin/extension.

> In fact. I can not for the life of me, think of a single application that
> does not activate it's plugins initially after they are installed.

Hans gave the example of xmms.

--
Aaron J. Seigo