turning off konq extensions by default

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Thu Jan 13 17:45:21 GMT 2005

El Jueves 13 Enero 2005 17:59, Jason Keirstead escribió:
> On Thursday 13 January 2005 10:42 am, Hans Meine wrote:
> > (To stress the point even more: It's the
> > same with installed programs.  People tend to have hundreds/thousands
> > of programs installed with modern Linux distributions, but they don't
> > expect all of them to *run* by default or to have GUI elements on their
> > screen, except in the program start menu, which corresponds to the
> > extension
>
> Plugins != applications.
>
> If I install a Netscape plugin for Flash, it is initially active. If I
> install a Firefox extention to add a toolbar, it is initially active. If
> I install a Kate plugin to add a C++ viewer, it is initially active. If I
> install an eclipse plugin to add support for C++, it is initially active.

In the Firefox/Mozilla case, the user chooses voluntarily to download and
install the plugin; in konqueror, the plugins are already installed by the
administrator or by the distributor.

Anyway, I see no reason to disable "plugins" that add support for different
document types, like flash or pdf; unless there is more than one plugin
that handles the same document in a different way.
I think the main issue is with plugins which add user-interface elements.
Those can confuse beginners, and some are annoying anyway even for advanced
users.

> In fact. I can not for the life of me, think of a single application that
> does not activate it's plugins initially after they are installed.
>
> The issue with Konqueror is not that plugins earmarked for it are
> initially activated, it is that every application under the sun add sa
> Konq plugin, and it is usually not obvious to the user they are doing
> this. Plugins in the Konq-plugins project sould be activated by default
> without issue IMO.

I'm not sure. Are you talking of the kdeaddons subpackage?

--
Luciano Montanaro

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo
                                                          - Enoch Root