KIO->GnomeVFS bridge started (looking for a Common-VFS)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jan 5 20:46:42 GMT 2005

(Slightly late, had to reinstall my server and stuff...)

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 21:00, Benjamin Meyer wrote:

> > > What?  When did this happen?  Url, link, something?  If this really is
> > > true then it is one of those shout from the rooftops things and can get
> > > Qt (and thus kde) lots of press :)
> >
> >    Seen qt4 yet?
>
> Oh, you guys are just refuring to the fact that the lib is broken up.  I
> misread and through qt-core was going to be lgpl.  Now that would have been
> news.
>
> -Benjamin Meyer

Yes, LGPL QtCore would be so cool, it would give a free (even for commercial
use) infrastructure library, so any kind of infrastructure for the unix
desktop could use it without any licensing issues. And I even think it
wouldn't take paying customers away from Trolltech. I don't think many
companies buy Qt just to have portable threads and strings. These are things
which can also be developped in-house in a reasonable time.
I know Qt is GPL and commercial entities can buy a commercial license, but
consider this: if e.g. a company choses to write an app with gtk, but
kioslaves have become the standard, and the app would have to link to some
kioslave lib, they would have to pay a commercial license just to be able to
use the "standard" vfs. So GPL QtCore doesn't really allow QtCore libs to
become basic infrastructure used by everyone. (I know kioslaves are apps and
you could talk to them completely without Qt (It think))

Bye
Alex