Porting kio-slaves to GnomeVFS modules

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Tue Jan 4 01:56:39 GMT 2005

nf wrote:
>> You'll need to reimplement the SlaveBase class in order to receive
>> input from the Gnome-VFS master. However, bear in mind that you must
>> respect the usual C++ Binary Compatibility guidelines when doing so.
>
>I think we can't use them "as is". So binary compatibility won't be
>possible. The main reason is that io-slaves are designed to run async
>only. Therefore they provide single methods for "get", "put" or
>"readDir" and push back data with callbacks.

Binary Compatibility is not an option if you want to make anything useful.
You have to be binary compatible.

You'll have the option to influence the ABI when KDE goes 4.0. But not
before, nor ever again until 5.0.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cweað "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.