Porting kio-slaves to GnomeVFS modules

nf nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Sat Jan 1 22:59:39 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 05:04, Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 December 2004 6:25 pm, nf wrote:
> > Well - sometimes they are better and sometimes they are inferior. Glib
> > main loop seems to be excellent from design for instance. A lot better
> > than Qt main loop.
>
> You're joking right??? I maintain the GNOME stuff in Ark, and I can't see how
> anyone can call GObjects and the Glib main loop sane. Stuffing OO design down
> a language's throat that isn't designed for it is poor thought to what the
> technologies should be used for.

That could be easily turned into an argument against C++ too, which
looks basically like C with a bit of OO sugar... ;-)

What i like about glib-main-loop is the modular concept with those
pluggable event sources and prepare/check/dispatch callbacks. That made it
possible to move GUI related code out of the basic main loop.

You could even plug different GUI event sources into the same main loop.
For instance to use KDE file dialogs inside gtk applications.

As far as i understand the whole thing, having a glib style common main loop
would open up a lot of new opportunities. Like calling into various component
or IPC libraries (Gnome-ORBIT, Openoffice UNO, dcop) without writing bridges.

Norbert