kwin crashing on startup.

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Jan 3 13:43:24 GMT 2005

On Friday 31 of December 2004 20:21, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> kwin head (from 24, 16, and 2 hours ago) has been crashing on me on
> startup. I have deleting .kde/, updated/rebuilt arts,kdelibs and
> kdebase....  And when I try to run it in gdb it just freezes all the
> windows (waited 30 minutes) and so I can never get a backtrace.  I am not
> sure what it could be at this point, anyone else having this problem with
> todays kwin?

 If you try to debug KWin from the X session it manages, then as soon as KWin
is suspended, focus, stacking and similar window manager functionality are
suspended as well. You need to run it from another X session or from text
console and setup $DISPLAY appropriately before running it.

 You can also add the command line applet to Kicker (because it usually works
fine even when there are focus problems), and temporarily run another window
manager instead of KWin when needed ('fvwm -replace', 'metacity --replace',
'kwin --replace').

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer