Two weeks later: KDE 3.4 Control Center UI Review

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Sun Feb 27 12:46:32 GMT 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 13:07, Clarence Dang wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:40 pm, Anders Lund wrote:
[...]
> > No, it would make it *harder*.
>
> See attachment.  I can't quickly tell which tab is which without text.
> Tooltips are too slow and clumsy.
>
> > Many, many tabs is fundamentally flawed, the
> > tab metaphor does not hold water if you have more than a few tabs. I
> > agree with the comment on using a list - suprise ;^)
>
> A normal list takes too much space.  A disappearing one is clumsy to use
> esp. if you want to see whether the other tabs have loaded yet while you
> are browsing (on my 28k connection).
This is just not true. If you really have *that* much tabs, think of using
more konqueror profiles/processes. In this case, the task bar (kicker) is
your "multitabbar". Multiple rows take far too much space, especially
because KDE tabbars (in a single row) already use far too much space.
However I don't want to start famewars now :-) And actually this is
something for the usability mailing list.

Cheers,
--
Dominik
GPG Fingerprint: AC88 49E3 D8A5 0541 5B71 AC6E 29AA 1696 FF64 EDBC