Two weeks later: KDE 3.4 Control Center UI Review

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sun Feb 27 12:50:17 GMT 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 13:07, Clarence Dang wrote:
> See attachment.  I can't quickly tell which tab is which without text.
> Tooltips are too slow and clumsy.

That screenshot simply proves me right: the tabs metaphor does not work for
the amount of tabs.

You have at least 12 tabs, and if you display the caption in each, you'd
easily have 4 rows of tabs allready, even with a resonable cropping (given a
widow width < 1025px with readable font size). So each time you'd click a
tab, the rows would alter their positions and you wouldn't know where to look
for a  specific tab. The more tabs and the more switching the worse, making
the idea of a multilevel tabbar self-contradictive -- a navigation tool that
makes navigating hard and frustrating :S

And even with the window size that I tend to use ( ~1000x800px) 4 or more rows
of tabs would eat up a considerable part of my window, and that in a much
more annoying way than a sidebar (imo, that is probably subjective).

A sidebar of course have rich opportunities for displaying state information.

As for keeping the user up to date with browser tasks, that is why
applications have statusbars - the statusbar could temporarily show 'URL
bla://bla finished loading'.

-anders
--
www: http://alweb.dk