cvs2svn statistics

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Fri Feb 25 14:14:11 GMT 2005

Hi!

Michael Matz and I did heavy experiments with converting
cvs to subversion in one go (on some machine that is made
for that :)

We cleaned out mostly "made messages" commits this resulted
in the following statistics (for basically the full repository):

cvs2svn Statistics:
------------------
Total CVS Files:            429692
Total CVS Revisions:       3075268
Total Unique Tags:             582
Total Unique Branches:         351
CVS Repos Size in KB:     10443088
Total SVN Commits:          405342
First Revision Date:    Wed Apr  9 01:25:19 1997
Last Revision Date:     Thu Feb 24 08:34:27 2005
------------------
Timings:
------------------
pass 1:   889 seconds
pass 2:   324 seconds
pass 3:    16 seconds
pass 4:   524 seconds
pass 5:  1695 seconds
pass 6:    28 seconds
pass 7:    29 seconds
pass 8: 84589 seconds
total:  88098 seconds

As you can see this can be done in a bit more than day (the cleaning
takes another two hours). So if we convert to subversion, I think we
should do it in one go. The subversion developers were not yet able
to explain why fsfs misbehaves so badly, so I'm retrying with bdb backend.

Greetings, Stephan