KPassiveNotify tool

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Wed Feb 23 00:48:38 GMT 2005

Moin,

a while ago I wrote a tiny tool called 'kpassivenotify' which is meant to be
used by console applications which want to show a little notification message
on the user's desktop. I'm using this for various scripts now (for instance,
my kde-build script uses

kpassivenotify --timeout 5000 --caption "KDE Build" "Compilation finished"

to give me information messages in a non-disruptive manner about the progress
of the script, without requiring me to monitor the script's output all the
time. I was recently made aware that this could be useful for other people as
well, hence I polished it a bit and am now ready to publish it. I attached
the sources for this tiny tool together with a man page documenting it's
behaviour, in case you are curious. I'm planning to commit this to kdebase
after KDE 3.4 has been packaged. What I'm not sure about is where to put it,
though.

Does anybody have an opinion where such tools should go? I noticed that
kdialog got it's own kdebase/kdialog subdirectory, but I'm a little hesitant
to grant that to kpassivenotify. :-)

- Frerich