Load extensions/modules at runtime

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed Feb 23 13:06:44 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 13:45, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > Maybe for KDE 4 we can find out a new way of doing this, maybe with a
> > cleaner method/code.
>
> For Linux, grep this autopackage page for relaytool:
>
> http://autopackage.org/developer-quickstart.html
For those who are curious, too, I'll quote the paragraph:

"[...] Because dlopen/dlsym is a rather inconvenient system to use, we
produced relaytool, which allows a "soft link" against software with no code
changes beyond a simple if (libfoo_is_present) { ... } conditional. There is
no need to define lots of function pointers, it works for C++ and it supports
exported variables. If linking to libraries at runtime does not look elegant
because of the ugliness of the resulting code, relaytool is exactly what is
needed."

This link is given, which allows to download the shell-script "relaytool":
http://cvs.sunsite.dk/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/autopackage/apbuild/relaytool

Its header contains some usage details, and the TODO "port to more archs".
Looks cool though. :-)

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS