KHelpcenter problem

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Feb 23 09:07:38 GMT 2005

Hi,

 I've just noticed that KHelpCenter has the possibility to search. I
don;t know if it it was present before or not, but unfortunately it
doesn't work. If I run the build-index as user, it will as for root
password and abort immediately with the error "Failed to build index."
and the log is:

khc_indexbuilder: cmdFile: /tmp/kde-andris/khelpcenterl2vfia.tmp
khc_indexbuilder: indexDir:
khc_indexbuilder: access denied

If I run as root it finishes, but does not create the index:
khc_indexbuilder: cmdFile: /tmp/kde-root/khelpcenterhkU19a.tmp
khc_indexbuilder: indexDir:
khc_indexbuilder: can access
khc_indexbuilder: IndexBuilder()
khc_indexbuilder: Opened file '/tmp/kde-root/khelpcenterhkU19a.tmp'
khc_indexbuilder: LINE: khc_docbookdig.pl --indexdir=
--docpath=khelpcenter:kde_application_manuals
--identifier=kde_application_manuals
khc_indexbuilder: IndexBuilder::processCmdQueue()
khc_indexbuilder: PROCESS: khc_docbookdig.pl --indexdir=
--docpath=khelpcenter:kde_application_manuals
--identifier=kde_application_manuals
Option indexdir requires an argument
Missing arguments.
Usage: khc_docbookdig.pl --indexdir  --docpath  --identifier
khc_indexbuilder: IndexBuilder::slotIndexFinished()
khc_indexbuilder: Exit status: 1
khc_indexbuilder: IndexBuilder::sendProgressSignal()
khc_indexbuilder: IndexBuilder::processCmdQueue()
khc_indexbuilder: IndexBuilder::quit()

Obviously, the indexdir is not set. The question is why isn't there a
default indexdir? And whats should that be? Something like
$KDEHOME/share/apps/khelpcenter? If I select such a directory, it runs
well from an user session as well.

I don't think that the current behavior, when you need to select an
index directory yourself is user friendly...

Andras