Sane default font

Esben Mose Hansen kde at mosehansen.dk
Mon Feb 21 18:31:29 GMT 2005

On Monday 2005-02-21 16:43, Martin Koller wrote:
> On Monday 21 February 2005 13:36, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> > Is that really better than "readable for most users" (say 95%)?
>
> You think a 10 point font is not readable for 95% of our new users ?

You mishandled the logical negation.

I believe there is 5% of our users unable to read 10pt font, yes. I find it
hard to read 10pt, and I am 30, maybe -0.5/+0.5 on both eyes.

> > I really
> > think that this is not a good move at this beta-2 stage. We should be
> > fixing bugs, not making far-reaching changes.
>
> The final stage is also there to smoothen the rough edges.
> And a bad first impression for a new user is definitely a thing which has
> to be fixed before the final release.

We are not talking about a spelling mistake here. Changing the default font
size would mean that all dialog would, default-wise, be layouted with a
smaller font. Can you guarantee that none break? In many places, font sizes
are relative. Will this leave a font somewhere absurdly small?

> > As I said, changing fonts to smaller fonts is easy if the fonts are too
> > large for comfort, but it is difficult to change if they are too small to
> > read...
>
> A 10 point font is not too small to read. It's probably not too nice for a
> few people, but those also can change it.

10pt will be hard to read, and unlike veteran users, they will have /no/ idea
where to go to change it. So they will have to read a lot of text, all of it
painfully small.

Leave it be, and make a wizard for the next release. It is the only sensible
thing. This should also be discussed on kde-usability before it is
implemented in any case, and there is no time.

> > > As coolo mentioned that also Suse changed the default to 10pt (and I'm
> > > sure they have a large customer base to have a good decision base), I'm
> > > even more convinced we should change it.
> >
> > From what I know of SuSE, I wouldn't count on a systematic survey.
>
> but they have a large number of people to get feedback from.

They are unlikely to record such minor issues. I do not believe we can rely on
that data.

> > > On Windows (XP), the default I seen here is again smaller than 10
> > > points (whatever a fontsize "Normal" means ...) - and they are too
> > > small for my eyes. (Measuring them with a ruler: 2mm !)
> >
> > On windows, many people use a lower resolution to enlarge the font. Yes,
> > really.
>
> In the company I work (~90 people) nobody does. Really.

In my company (~7000 people) a lot does, though only those whose screen goes
beyond 1200x800 in my experience. What does this prove? Nothing. Such
anecdotal evidence is worse than useless.

Look, I'm not saying that the fonts should not be adjusted. But do it at a
sensible time, make that wizard, discuss it on kde-usability, and don't /rush
it/. The freeze is /tomorrow/: there is not enough time. Patience is a
virtue.

--
regards. Esben