Sane default font

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Mon Feb 21 16:43:57 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 February 2005 13:36, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> Is that really better than "readable for most users" (say 95%)?

You think a 10 point font is not readable for 95% of our new users ?

> I really
> think that this is not a good move at this beta-2 stage. We should be
> fixing bugs, not making far-reaching changes.

The final stage is also there to smoothen the rough edges.
And a bad first impression for a new user is definitely a thing which has to
be fixed before the final release.

> As I said, changing fonts to smaller fonts is easy if the fonts are too
> large for comfort, but it is difficult to change if they are too small to
> read...

A 10 point font is not too small to read. It's probably not too nice for a few
people, but those also can change it.

> > As coolo mentioned that also Suse changed the default to 10pt (and I'm
> > sure they have a large customer base to have a good decision base), I'm
> > even more convinced we should change it.
>
> From what I know of SuSE, I wouldn't count on a systematic survey.

but they have a large number of people to get feedback from.

> > On Windows (XP), the default I seen here is again smaller than 10 points
> > (whatever a fontsize "Normal" means ...) - and they are too small for my
> > eyes. (Measuring them with a ruler: 2mm !)
>
> On windows, many people use a lower resolution to enlarge the font. Yes,
> really.

In the company I work (~90 people) nobody does. Really.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
registered as user #332716 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

       Some operating systems are called 'user friendly',
             Linux however is 'expert friendly'.