Announcing test svn import

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 21:19:01 GMT 2005

Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
>- I would prefer /trunk/core over /trunk/KDE. KDE is more than the core
>modules after all.

Makes sense.

Do you think /branches/KDE should be renamed /branches/core as well? The
sole reason I thought of /trunk/KDE was to keep the name in both areas.

But, then again, since we won't have a /branches/extragear
or /branches/playground, it doesn't matter.

>- I don't really see the need for a "work" directory, separating between
>temporary and released branches seems to be a bit artificial. A
>temporary branch will disappear when it isn't needed anymore in any
>case, so it won't clutter the directory it's in, be it "branches" or
>something else.

Okay. As I said, "work" was an invention of mine. I don't know anyone who
uses that.

I thought of it after taking a look at /branches before I started moving
things around. Granted, there were a lot of superfluous branches there,
but even listing the directory was slow.

Take a look: https://svn.kde.org/viewcvs/branches/?rev=343811

>- Branches should probably include one or several subdirectories named
>after the project. So it isn't needed to come up with super-creative
>branch names. kwebdev/quanta/make-it-cool sounds fine to me.

I don't like the idea of generic branch names for two reasons, but I won't
intrude in other projects' decisions:

1) it tells nothing about what the branch is, except for those who agreed
to create it
2) reutilisation of the same name

#1 isn't an issue if no-one but the maintainers is supposed to be using
that branch.
#2 isn't really an issue in Subversion, since names can be reused again
and again.

>- "tags" shouldn't be named "releases". There are lots of tags which
>don't correspond to a release, but just identify some kind of snapshot.

True, but not many people use tags. They just remember the last revision
they merged stuff. Since it's now a global value, it's much easier to
remember than to find out each individual file's revision.

You can use properties for that too (that's how svnmerge works anyways).

>A "releases" subdirectory in "tags" might make sense, though.

/tags/releases/KDE/4.0 sounds a bit long for me. Same thing
for /trunk/playground/artwork/plastik2
or /trunk/extragear/multimedia/k3b/src.

I'd much rather see people use "tags" inside /work than /releases.

Out of curiosity, here's how the Samba Subversion repository is layed out
(http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/):

/
branches/
  SAMBA_2_2/
  SAMBA_2_2_RELEASE/
  SAMBA_3_0/
  SAMBA_3_0_RELEASE/
  SAMBA_3_1_RELEASE/
  SAMBA_4_0/
  tmp/
    SAMBA_3_2_MERGE/
hooks/
tags/
  release-2-2-10/
  release-2-2-11/
  release-2-2-12/
test/
trunk/
  docs/
  examples/
  source/

Remember that's one repository for a single program. For KDE, we're
talking about lots of programs being released, from the same repository.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.