Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Sun Feb 20 17:40:51 GMT 2005

On Sunday 20 February 2005 18:12, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Am Sonntag 20 Februar 2005 11:48 schrieb Guillaume Laurent:
> > - trailing '\' for line continuation
>
> Hmm, never considered this of any kind of problem.

It's tolerable but it does look goofy :-).

> Hmm, from what I remember from bksys it uses e.g. env['KDEMIME'] a lot -
> scons will give an error if you use KDEMINE there? What kind of error?

It throws a a KeyError exception (just checked).

> No, you will have to split it in two files. But automake conditionals
> already allow that and from what I remember RG makes heavy use of them.

We do, but we don't like it, because it's not simple at all, and the code
setting the conditionals is completely alien from the code which actually
uses them to make a decision on what should be built.

--
      Guillaume.
      http://www.telegraph-road.org