Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 17:12:23 GMT 2005

Am Sonntag 20 Februar 2005 11:48 schrieb Guillaume Laurent:

> - trailing '\' for line continuation
Hmm, never considered this of any kind of problem.

> - for a single target, you define a set of random named variables,
> (bin_PROGRAMS, foo_SOURCES, foo_LDADD) and if one of the names is wrong, I
> won't get a clear error message about it.
Well, that's true and there is some code in automake that gives for some
errors something like "unused variable". But yes, this is one of the most
often named advantage of an explicit function/macro.

> - There's $(VARIABLE) for predefined vars (and again, I won't get an error
> if I get the name wrong, say $(LIBQT) instead of $(LIB_QT)), and @VARIABLE@
> for those found through autoconf
Hmm, from what I remember from bksys it uses e.g. env['KDEMIME'] a lot - scons
will give an error if you use KDEMINE there? What kind of error?

> All in all, it will never let me write something like
>
> haveLibFoo = CheckForLib("foo")
>
> if haveLibFoo
>   src += "foodriver.cpp"
> else
>  src += "nulldriver.cpp"
No, you will have to split it in two files. But automake conditionals already
allow that and from what I remember RG makes heavy use of them.

Greetings, Stephan