Subversion repository structure (was: trunk/kdeedu/klettres)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Feb 19 21:05:11 GMT 2005

Andras Mantia wrote:
>On Saturday 19 February 2005 22:10, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Any thoughts?
>
>The second proposal makes sense and starting to become clearer. ;-) Just
>that kdevelop should be under KDE IMHO.

Hmm... not quite. KOffice and KDevelop have their own release cycles and
version numbers. Even if they choose to release at the same time KDE is
released. This is what happens now with aRts: KDE 3.2 had aRts 1.2.

Or am I mistaken?

>Also you broke the extragear*, which may make sense, but the idea there
>was to not have a mega module like kdenonbeta, wasn't it so?

I wouldn't call that a module since /trunk/extragear by itself isn't
compilable. That is, no Makefile.cvs (or Makefile.svn) in it.

Each app by itself is compilable, though, complete with Makefile.cvs and
admin/ subdirs. That would mean that if you want amarok & k3b, you can't
simply compile kdeextragears-1. You'll have to compile amarok, then k3b.

Maybe our new build system won't need admin/. And maybe it'll be powerful
enough so that making /trunk/extragear "compilable" is just a matter of
adding a Makefile-equivalent.

The important thing here is that each tarball-to-be-released has a
directory of its own -- regardless where it actually is -- and is
compilable. That is, kdelibs is released as kdelibs-4.0.0.tar.gz,
so /trunk/KDE/kdelibs is compilable; amarok-1.3.0.tar.gz is released,
then /trunk/extragears/amarok is compilable, as is /branches/amarok/1.3.0
and so forth.

The difference between my first and second proposals is just a matter of
organisation: main KDE, extra gears (release-quality apps, not part of
the main KDE release), apps nearing release quality, apps in development
and blackhole.

The same organisation could be applied to branches and tags as well, but
IMO that's already overkill. Besides, apps may move from playground to
review, then to extragears or KDE.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."