Subversion problems

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sat Feb 19 00:41:32 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 21:08, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Friday 18 February 2005 8:01, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Well, so you question the concept of "everything is a directory" and not
> > the efficiency of branching?
>
> Yes.

In my opinion Subversion's concept is much easier to understand, because it
represents exactly the situation that you would have without any revision
control. Without it you do operations like

	cp -a project project.20050219

or

	cp -a project project.newfeature

It's obvious what a branch really is, and therefore it's also much easier to
understand what merging/joining branches means. You can see what it's all
about in the view of your virtual subversion filesystem (svn ls or
https://svn.kde.org/home/kde), or in a complete checkout if you want. With
cvs branching and tagging are hidden behind commandline options. It's
anything but obvious, in particular the difference of '-b' with the tag
command. You can find out about tags and branches only through 'cvs status
-v' on files or through the combobox in webcvs. (maybe there are easier ways,
but those are the easiest I found at least, after years of using it)

Simon