Subversion problems

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Feb 18 19:01:38 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 16:30, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Friday 18 February 2005 14:47 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> > >
> > > It's even easier: An anonymous checkout doesn't have any user
> > > name stored at all. Only if you commit, you have to give a user
> > > name.
> >
> > So it's possible to provide such tarballs? That'd be good.
>
> Try http://ktown.kde.org/~coolo/kdewebdev-348408.tar.bz2 - it's a 9MB
> download

So I experimented a little. A cleaned CVS checkout of the kdewebdev is
5.5MB. The tarball of the kdewebdev .svn directories is about the same
size (10KB less). This will be important later.
I did the following:
- cleaned up the tarball you sent to me to have only the .svn
directories [strip_svn.sh]
- cleaned up a checkout of kdewebdev from CVS and copied the .svn
directories there
- run "svn revert -R ."
- I removed the CVS directories [cleancvs]
- I ended up with the same files (compared by content) as the one you
sent me in the tarball.

This means that it's enough to package the .svn directories and offer
for download, and one could use his own CVS checkout and convert it to
svn. Even better, as I see you don't even need to have a CVS checkout,
it's enough if you have the .svn directories, and the "svn revert" will
restore your files.
 This saves several MB for downloading (almost 4MB in kdewebdev case,
even more in some other cases), and wouldn't be much different from
downloading the released tarballs.
 Now as I was informed, during the checkout you would actually not
download the .svn directories, but this doesn't change the fact that
it's more convenient for some to get everything in a package.
 I cannot test the commit from KDevelop (where I already see some
problem), because I don't remember my CVS password. Can I get back
somehow? ;-)

Andras