Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Feb 18 17:12:26 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 17:44, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Friday 18 February 2005 17:28 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > Here comes this in cmake:
> >
> > FIND_PROGRAM(blah_PATH blah)
> >
> > IF(NOT bla_PATH)
> >    ADD_EXECUTABLE(blah_addon addon1.cpp)

INSTALL_TARGET(blah_addon /bin)

> > ENDIF(NOT bla_PATH)
>
> Where does it install?

installs to ${prefix}/bin

> > Yes, it's upper case, but my main point is not its "beautiful" syntax,
> > but I hadn't done this before, and I found out how to do this in 5
> > minutes from looking at the manpage.
> >
> > Stephan, is cmake one of your options or are the only options autotools,
> > unsermake and scons ?
>
> No, it's not one of my options

Actually I would have hoped that you would at least try to evaluate it,
instead of just dismissing it because it's not python and uses upper-case
letters.

Ok, so this whole discussion is basically closed. I haven't seen posts here
pro autotools and only some pro unsermake, so we'll go with scons.

> (and so far you seem to pretty lonely with your options).

There have been several posts here expressing concerns with scons.

> M4 has a very nice man page too - and still it's not my favorite language.

If the build system would be M4, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
But it's M4+autoconf+automake+libtool+shell+perl.

Are there actually any ruby based build systems ?

Bye
Alex