Subversion problems

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Feb 18 12:15:28 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 13:07, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Unfortunately, Subversion's WC (Working Copy) directory is at least
> the double of the code checkout. So, the "state tarball" as you call
> it would be as large as the checkout itself.

You mean that if my kdelibs CVS checkout now is 70 MB (including the
generated files with make -f Makefile.cvs and the CVS directories), now
the same checkout from svn will be around the double? And actually I
need to download several (1-1.5) GB to have the kde modules checked
out? Now those without kde-i18n, kdeextragear* and with qt-copy are
~800MB, that I obtained the same way (converted a checkout from an
anonymous mirror that I get from somebody and did cvs update during the
last years).
Getting again them directly with a checkout will be a pain. In the best
case I can download ~3-400MB a month from home, and even at the other
place I have only a 64-128kbps access. I cannot stay there several days
to wait for a checkout, but I could ask somebody to start the downloads
and I go there and get them, but those somebody will not use Linux,
this is why would be better to have tarballs that can be downloaded.
And of course usually getting a big file is faster than getting
thousands of small files.

> So there would be, effectively, no difference between checking out
> from Subversion, or downloading a tarball consisting of .svn
> directories only.

I'd ask for a tarball that contains the code and the svn directories
from an anonymous svn checkout  if the svn directories can be updated
to match my account. This way even the larger tarballs could be
downloaded with time.

I don't know how it is with other developers, but I don't think I'm the
only one who still doesn't have broadband internet access.

Andras