Subversion problems

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Fri Feb 18 04:55:18 GMT 2005

heiko.evermann at gmx.de wrote:
>1) practise with one or two modules, cvs remains
> master, svn is just used as a test

This our current state now.

>2) when that works well: convert everything from cvs to svn, cvs remains
>master, svn is just a playground. Let it run as long as it takes.

More or less what we're doing now.

>3) Make sure that KDE compiles, to check that the conversion did work.
> Try this for HEAD and one or two older branches.

Yeah, we should do that.

>4) When all works well, cvs will be locked, the conversion will take
> place. svn becomes master. The downtime will be announced in time, and
> we will be able to live with one week of downtime.

I'm sorry, but you haven't said anything new.

The conversion in step #4 takes about a week to process, during which time
both the CVS and SVN repositories are locked. That's no commits,
anywhere.

As for the time for the move, here's some thoughts:

before 3.4: madness
just after 3.4: not a good idea (bug report flow)
I'd recommend we do it one or two weeks after KDE 3.4.1 is released. That
should be in 7-10 weeks from now, depending on the real release date for
KDE 3.4.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cweað "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.