thoughts on the systray

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Feb 15 11:48:16 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 22:35, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Monday 14 of February 2005 22:19, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Monday 14 February 2005 21:00, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > 2) applet-like cases
> > > - e.g. kxkb, klipper
> >
> > Isn't the only difference that they don't have a "window" asociated with
> > them?
>
>  It is, but it's _the_ difference. Basically kxkb the systray icon the
> systray icon is the main interface. With some app which uses systray for
> minimizing the window is the main interface, and the systray icon is just
> something additional. It makes the two things very different for me,
> different concepts.

I think there are 3 functional aspects:
* Access to main window (like a takbar-entry)
* Status indicator
* Quick access to main functions

And a 4th one that seems to be shared by all:
* Persistent non-intrusive UI presence

I think the 4th one drives the concept, the other 3 just provide value tot the
concept. So you can argue whether it is truly necassery to use the systray
icon for something that only needs 1 out of these 3, in the end that's a
decission based on a cost-value evaluation *), I don't think any of the 3
aspects are fundamental in and of themselves, only 4 is.

I think it may make sense to approach, from a technical implementation point
of view, the systray as an extension of the taskbar. However, from the
perspective of an application developer, there should be a real distinction
between taskbar and systray, using the systray should be a conscious design
decision on the part of the application developer (keeping in mind the
cost-value evaluation mentioned above), and a choice for the systray should
result in certain garantees with respect to presence/visibility and access by
the user.

As a secondary concern, perhaps even as an afterthought, it could be made
possible for the user to override the initial decision of the application
developer and migrate the application from systray to taskbar or vice versa.
But that's a fringe concern aimed at the 1% of users that want to have their
favourite app in the systray or to correct misguided *) decisions from
application developers who may have different ideas about value than the
end-user.

It's like Konquerors can-do-everything design: from a technical design point
of view this is a great approach, however to get a usable UI you must
artificially restrict the possibilities based on the roles that you identify
from a user-machine interaction point of view. As a whole this is a very
powerful approach because it allows you to make decisions from a UI and
usability point of view without the technical design getting in your way.
It's a mistake to think that the technical design alone is a complete
solution though, the different roles must be clearly defined as well.

Cheers,
Waldo

*) Cost: the screen-estate available to the systray is limited and the more
icons it contains the less effective it becomes.
*) Misguided: application developers have a tendency to think that their
application is the most important one the user has ever seen or used and
should therefor be present in all possible UI locations (main-menu, panel,
desktop, system tray) and started automatically on log-in. Users do not
always agree with this assessment, especially those users that use more than
1 application.
--
bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download
bastian at suse.com  |   http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/eval.html