Future of KDE Development

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Mon Feb 14 19:27:36 GMT 2005

> > How about keeping kdelibs and large parts of kdebase feature frozen, and
> > have a 3.5 release only containing updated apps: kdepim, kdevelop,
> > quanta, kdegraphics (and konqy+khtml+kjs) ?
> ...and (user) documentation? And WhatsThis-completeness? And speed
> optimizations (if there are any to be done)? And an ambitious goal
> to bring down the current open bugzilla count to half the current?
> And "polishing" menues, UIs, artwork?  (I am aware that this doesnt
> sound very "sexy" to most who write KDE code...)

As a kde-artist member I'd like to add my share, too:
Currently Janet Theobroma and the kde-contest team are preparing an Icon
contest which intends to add and replace as many icons as possible by high
quality icons for the next KDE release. This contest is targeted to happen
quite soon. An obvious reward would be that the winning icons will be
included with the next KDE release. But of course we can't promise this if
the next release is more than six months away. Of course we could always put
the winning icons into a 3.4.x release but I feel that it would be more
appropriate to have it as a part of a 3.5 release.

Apart from that I support Stephans suggestion to have a KDE 3.5 release so
that all docwriters, usability-engineers, designers, translators, etc. will
keep working and won't loose interest in the KDE project because they have to
idle around.
And of course this would give us more time for the developers to work on KDE
4.0: While preparing a 3.5 release might take about 4-5 months programmers
can use this time to work on porting kdelibs/base and cleaning up the API
already. Once this would be done and KDE 3.5 is released there would be
additional 8-9 months left to port applications, do bugfixing etc.
So in total KDE 4.0 work would cover about 13-14 months which wouldn't be
noted by the public at all. If we would work for 14 months w/o releasing any
further software in the meantime then this would at least create bad PR for
our project and hurt our project severely.

That's why I vote for a KDE 3.5 release.

Greetings,
Torsten