Future of KDE Development

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Feb 14 18:11:45 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 16:51, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 14 February 2005 16:07, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Problem is that designing/implementing a good kdelibs requires applications
> > to make use of it so you can see if it works as good as you intented to. So
> > enhancing kdelibs is no singled out process. I can't really imagine the
> > perfect way to do that in parallel with a KDE 3.5.
>
> How about keeping kdelibs and large parts of kdebase feature frozen, and have
> a 3.5 release only containing updated apps: kdepim, kdevelop, quanta,
> kdegraphics (and konqy+khtml+kjs) ?

...and (user) documentation? And WhatsThis-completeness? And speed
optimizations (if there are any to be done)? And an ambitious goal
to bring down the current open bugzilla count to half the current?
And "polishing" menues, UIs, artwork?  (I am aware that this doesnt
sound very "sexy" to most who write KDE code...)

My guess is that KDE-3.x will be staying for relatively long at all
places where it is deployed now. All current migration plans are
based on KDE-3.x. Once enterprises start testing the stuff they need
they will take many months, and after they decided for a, say KDE-3.4
they will not easily jump onto a 4.0 even if were ready very soon
after.

> Bye
> Alex

Cheers,