Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Feb 14 19:21:55 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 20:33, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> IMO this is an advantage. Everybody knows makefiles, so everybody
> will feel kind of comfortable. You can still enter make on the
> command line. ./configure; make; make install will stay the same
> (with ./configure being a script calling cmake).

I don't think having a standard Makefile is a pro argument, as I don't
really say that somebody will start to hand modify the generated
Makefile's. But I think we need a build system that is widely available
for every supported OS. Good if it's already included in distributions,
good enough if it's possible to install by anyone without much hassle.

Andras