KDE 3.5 application release?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Feb 14 17:02:01 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 17:07, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> And on top of that, not everyone wants to ditch the KDE3 code base
> and start working on KDE4 right away, but would prefer a KDE 3.5
> application release, which would delay KDE4 even more due to split of
> man power.

Disclaimer: this is only a personal opinion, not the decision of the
kdewebdev team.
 I'd rather focus on a quick port of kdelibs to Qt4 and after that
porting the application to Qt4 than spend time for a 3.5 application
release and later have less time to port the application to Qt/KDE 4.
So anybody who has the capability and is not afraid of touching kdelibs
should help the core team. I'm sure that some areas are so weird that
one or most two persons understand it, but there should be classes that
can be ported without much hassle and possibly cleaned up meantime (or
after there is a working port).
 I don't know how it happened in the past when major versions came out
and binary compatibility was broken, as I started to develop around the
end of the KDE 2 life-cycle and was not following the core development
at that time, but was there an organized way of doing it, small teams
created? If no, it might make sense to make it now. But this can be a
discussion in another thread.

Andras