thoughts on the systray

Michael Brade brade at kde.org
Mon Feb 14 12:10:03 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 12:15, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> [Michael Brade, Montag, 14. Februar 2005 11:52]
>
> > Erm... there is no management of the GUI in the systray anyway. You
> > have exactly the mouse clicks, nothing else. So the event notifications
> > would have to be "LMB clicked", "MMB clicked", "RMB clicked" and all
> > three with double clicks as well. (Additionally you might have to
> > submit the mouse position.)
>
> In the future it will hopefully be possible to use the system tray area
> with the keyboard as well, so tying this to "LMB", "MMB" and "RMB" is a
> no-no. I agree with Aaron that in KDE 4, the GUI must be managed by the
> system tray itself.
Well, I still don't understand this GUI managing thingy. Can you explain the
difference between what will be and what is now? In terms of how to use it or
what will change from a user perspective?

> > If you break my little app (KNotes) I'll know where to find you!
>
> Polemical reply: The suggested kicker changes are needed to make KNotes
> (and other system tray applications) less broken to impaired users.
Hang on, this should not break the apps though. If there are three different
actions the user can initiate, that's fine; then you can map them to ?MB or
some keyboard shortcuts in the systray and tell the app the semantic action.
So this would not be "tying this to ?MB" but rather having three actions that
can be configured of how to trigger them.

However, the way I understood this up to now is that you want to remove
functionality that is not accessible by impaired users and thus effectively
remove the functionality from the normal users as well. That is certainly
wrong.

--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience