thoughts on the systray

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Mon Feb 14 11:15:54 GMT 2005

[Michael Brade, Montag, 14. Februar 2005 11:52]
> Erm... there is no management of the GUI in the systray anyway. You
> have exactly the mouse clicks, nothing else. So the event notifications
> would have to be "LMB clicked", "MMB clicked", "RMB clicked" and all
> three with double clicks as well. (Additionally you might have to
> submit the mouse position.)

In the future it will hopefully be possible to use the system tray area
with the keyboard as well, so tying this to "LMB", "MMB" and "RMB" is a
no-no. I agree with Aaron that in KDE 4, the GUI must be managed by the
system tray itself.

> If you break my little app (KNotes) I'll know where to find you!

Polemical reply: The suggested kicker changes are needed to make KNotes
(and other system tray applications) less broken to impaired users.

Polite reply: The fact that kicker is currently broken accessibility-wise
is not your fault, but please allow the kicker maintainer to fix these
issues.

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project