KDE 3.4 Control Center UI Review

Mirko Boehm mirko at kde.org
Sun Feb 13 18:25:20 GMT 2005

Am Sunday 13 February 2005 13:01 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 06:31:50PM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Splashscreens in general:
> > - "KDE Control Center" text truncated.
>
> Fix now in CVS.
>
> > Sony Vaio Laptop
> > - Combine somehow with IBM Thinkpad laptop, or suppress because I don't
> > have either
>
> I really can't think of any way of detecting whether a given computer
> is a thinkpad or a vaio or not.  In a proprietry operating system you
> don't get this problem because the drivers are only installed (by you
> or manufacturer) if you know it's a thinkpad etc.  Not so for KDE.
The vaio module is in fact able to understand if a Sony laptop is used. The
module UI is disabled in case no appropriate hardware is found. It will be
easy to publish this information through the API to allow kcontrol to hide
the module.

Regarding merging, all kmilo modules should be moved into one module ("special
hardware"?), I guess. kmilo does only load required and working modules
anyway.

I cannot do it though, see the other post.

Best reards,
--Mirko.
--
KDE e.V.: http://www.kde.org/areas/kde-ev