slaveBase::copy between differing url hosts

Mike 'Mike' Jones mike.jones at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Feb 8 15:53:31 GMT 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> How does gsiftp relate to FXP? Listed at http://www.gftp.org
>
> Regards
> Friedrich

Hi,

That's the first time I've come across FXP, I suspect FXP is just the
implementation of the server to server transfers as suggested in rfc959.
Certainly the Changelog for gFTP hints at this.

GSIFTP is quite a bit more complicated.  First of all authentication is
achieved by using GSI Proxy x509 certificates (see
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3820.txt) and the control channel is encrypted.
The Data channel can also be authenticated if so desired by credentials
delegated to the servers (so called limited or restricted proxy
certificates). The transfer can be striped across many TCP/IP channels
(reducing the effect of the TCP/IP bandwidth step down on error).  Finally
it allows the negotiation of the TCP buffer size.

See http://www.ggf.org/documents/GWD-R/GFD-R.020.pdf for further details
on the expansions to the ftp protocol.

Cheers,
mike