slaveBase::copy between differing url hosts

Mike 'Mike' Jones mike.jones at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Feb 4 21:59:12 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Friday 04 February 2005 13:00, Mike 'Mike' Jones wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been writing a kio slave.  The protocol I'm implementing, gsiftp,
> > supports the movement of data from one URL to another URL without the data
> > passing through the client machine, so-called third party file transfer.
> >

> Yes, KIO::fileCopyJob assumes that copy cannot take place between two
> differing remote virtual filesystems. We have an optional exception in place
> for remote-to/from-local copying, by specifying "copyToFile=true" and
> "copyFromFile=true" in the .protocol file (See ftp.protocol)
>
> We could add a similar option for copying between different hosts (that's what
> you are interested in, right?) but not before KDE 4 I'm afraid.

Yes, I should put in a feature request.

I can see this being useful for 3 protocols:
1 GridFTP (gsiftp:// urls) -- a basic KIO slave produced already as part
  of a project called GrEnaDE (get and listDir implemented), I'm
  currently working on an updated release with more functionality (only
  really missing the 3rd party stuff now).
2 Storage Resource Broker (from San Diego Supercomputer Centre)
3 http + gridsite (https:// urls but may have to call them htcp)

I would probably have a crack at 2 and 3 as well if I could do remote to
(other) remote copies.

(BTW, the FTP rfc also envisages 3rd party file transfer. Data could in
principle be copied directly from a gsiftp server to an ftp server  or
even between two vanilla ftp servers.  The latter would, only require PASV
on one server and PORT on the other and servers that support those
commands.)

> A work around could be to use URL's that do not actually contain the host-name
> in that part of the URL that is reserved for that. Of course I don't know if
> that's an option for you.

I'm afraid I can't change the URL format as it's already defined
elsewhere.

Still, thanks for the confirmation. GrEnaDE 1.1 will be released shortly
with a gsiftp KIO slave containing nearly all GridFTP's functionality ;)

Cheers,
Mike

--
http://www.sve.man.ac.uk/General/Staff/jonesM/