DCOP interface in kicker broke compatibility?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 3 06:56:33 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 02:08, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Yes, and I think that's where the burden is supposed to be. The alternative
> is that the end-user has to carry the burden. I don't think that's the
> right place if KDE wants to establish itself and its applications as a
> professional environment.

certainly; but saying "all IPC calls must be maintained going forward" is,
IMO, more burdon than necessary on application developers. application
development should not be overly burdensome, otherwise we discourage use of
IPC (or encourage breaking with our policies). which is why i think there
needs to be a middle ground where it's possible say, "This set of calls are
part of a public interface that cary with them a guarantee of maintenance,
these calls don't."

the possible downside is the "lazy" app developer who just marks all their IPC
calls as "subject to change"  to avoid having to plan properly and maintain
compat. at least the user gets to know this.

and for that reason i also see defining standard IPC interfaces as becoming
more important since it would give something for application developers to
conform to that's external to their application, while also allowing users of
those interfaces (which may be end users, sys admins or other developers) the
ability to write to the interfaces rather than the individual apps. already
we have a couple of such interfaces in CVS, but making such things a stated
goal and setting up some guidelines for how to go about creating, defining
and standardizing such interfaces would encourage further interface
standardization.

this also touches on documentation / introspection capabilities that you
mentioned elsewhere in this thread.......

--
Aaron J. Seigo